Position: Program Management Intern
Girls on the Run of Eastern Iowa is a non-profit 501(c)(3) community-based organization. Our mission is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Our 180+ volunteer coaches mentor approximately 600 young girls (3rd through 8th graders) with a 10-week, 20-lesson curriculum that combines training for a 5K with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting lessons. We integrate running with specific life-skills training such as healthy decision-making, dealing with bullies, contributing to the community, leadership and teamwork at schools in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Coralville, Amana, Fairfield, Independence, North Liberty, Hills, Solon, Hiawatha, Marion, Central City, Center Point/Urbana, Riverside and Williamsburg, Iowa. Our Fall 2017 internships provide an opportunity to make a difference and receive valuable experience with an outstanding youth wellness program.
Program Management Intern:
The Program Management intern reports to the Program Manager and supports the day–to-day activities of Girls on the Run, including communications, operational efforts and community relations.
- Recruit and coordinate the Program Support Team (described below), a team of substitute coaches
- Moderate the coach Facebook page and support communication with coaches
- Develop and implement a volunteer recruitment campaign for 5K running buddies
- Conduct site visits to Girls on the Run sites in assigned territory
- Assist with tasks related to Girls on the Run events including LUNAFEST, Coach Appreciation and the celebratory 5K
- Serve as a substitute coach as needed
- A positive role model
- Tech savvy, including Microsoft Office, data management, and email
- Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Flexible, adaptable, dependable and personable
- A fun-maker!
This Position Requires
- Previous experience as a Girls on the Run coach or volunteer helpful, but not required
- Ability to travel within assigned territory using a personal vehicle
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
- Availability at least 10 hours/week with at least some hours in the afternoons during practice times
Note that a background check and references will be required. Internship is unpaid, but can be used for college credit. Must be able to assist with occasional night and weekend events.
For consideration for a Fall 2017 internship, please send a resume, cover letter and two references by July 31, 2017 to Esther Baker, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.